How can you can directly help a victim of domestic abuse? Start with Your Smartphone.
Some people are not into protests, others just don’t have the time to go out and protest. Social media and Smartphone technology has made it easier to create social change. When I ride the bus after a long day of work, I see everyone using a smartphone. They’re on instagram , twitter, or facebook. Some critics suggest that social media creates a socially deprived society. Yet, Debra Askanase demonstrates that it’s actually an effective tool for social change in her article:7 Inspiring TED Talks to Rejuvenate Your Nonprofit’s Social Media Strategy.
The best TED Talk featured in Askanase’s article was Marnie Webb: Recreate the Way We Look at Social Issues. This is where I discovered the SafeNight App.
In her TED Talk Webb tells a story of how the Safenight app started with someones mother and evolved into an easy mobile crowdfunding app. This app allows you to donate money to domestic victims in immediate need of a place to stay when there are no available shelters.
How Does it Work?
- People pay a requested amount for a hotel room. This amount is donated to a verified organization.
- Requests for hotel rooms are managed by trained staff at domestic violence organizations. They ensure that everyone involved in the process are safe.
- Donors can select which shelter they want to support.
- Donors can also select the alerts they receive with a period of time.
- The app does not collect or store the information of the person receiving the room.
Who should use this app?
- Anyone can use this app
- People who want to support the cause.
Why should you use this app?
- You should use this app because it is an easy and effective way to directly affect the life of an individual going through domestic violence.
- You could provide this person with a safe place to stay if there are no shelters available.
What should you do?
- Check to see if any organizations in your area support the app.
- Get your organization to raise money to pay for a hotel.
- Get a group of your friends to raise money and pay for a hotel room.
- Make it your birthday wish for people to download the app and help someone in need pay for a hotel room.